Last week we were excited to join a number of boards in Waterloo, Ontario, to talk about their challenges with K12 financial and HR Payroll management. We were thrilled that our client the Waterloo Catholic DSB was generous enough to host all of us at their Board office.
The event kicked off with a roundtable discussion where everyone shared their answers to these key questions:
When it came to challenges K12 School Boards are facing today with their Accounting & HR/Payroll software this is what was discussed:
- Reporting across the system – many boards existing solutions don’t have the capability to produce meaningful reports across the system
- Difficulty supporting the frequently shifting Ministry reporting requirements
- ‘Old’ technology with no/limited product roadmap
- Lack of integration between key areas like Finance and Payroll which means a lot of exporting and importing and delays in getting information out to people.
- Organizational change is slow - people are afraid of change and want to keep doing things the same way. This means projects that look at selecting a new system are sometimes stalled.
We then asked about what the "dream" features they were looking for, and this is what was suggested:
- Integration! They just want everything to be in one seamless system
- A system with permissions so that they can allow more people access to the data that is relevant to them, and they can self-serve and reduce the amount of requests on the Finance department.
- Better training for staff so that they can learn through not only guides, but things like videos and webinars and online search tools.
Lastly, we discussed what were the things that were holding them back from switching to a new solution and these were some of the fears:
- It's a huge project, and we are worried that we don't have the project management skillset or resources to manage it.
- Everyone still has their "day jobs", so adding a software implementation on top of that is demanding. We don't know if we have the dedicated resources needed to make it successful.
- Finding the right time to start the project - when will it be least disruptive?
- How do I get buy in from everyone involved? Especially those that are adverse to change.
- Making sure we pick a solution that will fit us for the long-term. We don't want to have to switch again!
One of the advantages with working with so many Ontario school boards, is that we are able to bring them together to share best practices. At this event, Waterloo CDSB and Bruce Grey CDSB were kind enough to share the benefits that their organization have enjoyed by using the Altus K12 ERP.
Video: Watch Laura Isaac, Senior Manager of Financial Services - Waterloo Catholic District School Board share her top benefits from using the Altus K12 Accounting Solution
Video: Watch Jaime Carter, Supervisor of Financial Services - Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board share her top benefits from using the Altus K12 HR/Payroll Solution.
Want to see the solution yourself? We've got a unique guided trial that allows you to demo the solution while one of our technology experts shows you the highlights: